Sunday, January 18, 2009

Information I used for assignment #5

Hello! In this post, I will be giving you tips on how to write a good assignment!

I always get the information I need first, and I answer who, what, when, where, why, and how as much as I can. I write all the information on a paper in jot notes, and I choose the most significant ones and interesting ones that would make my written assignment informative and interesting to read.

Once I have all that done, I start writing the paragraph with a good introduction that makes the readers want to read more! Then I write all the information in the necessary parts, and the ending would be something that wraps it up, just like in all my previous entries.

Here's all the information I used in assignment #5: (The green jot notes are those that I used in my assignment)

- settlements started when Jacques Cartier arrived to Canada in 1534

- French families were given a strip of farm land each

- even though life was hard for them, the conditions were better than they'd expect in France.

- life was hard because - first had to cut down trees and take away the tree stumps with axes - cholera and small pox broke out and interfered with aboriginals well-being

- plenty of wood fish and animals to eat

- settlers didn't have freedom of worship in Europe

- government had control of their way of life

- men were forced to serve in the army

- no jobs/low paying jobs

- many were poor and barely had enough to survive

- farmers wanted their own land

- cities were overcrowded dirty and polluted

- the prairies in Canada had free land to offer people for farming

- people thought they would lead a better life in Canada

- (very long trip to Canada - take ship for at least two weeks, then stay at immigration halls, then take train to prairies or other places)

- even though they could burn wood for warmth, they had to get the wood, fell the wood, trim the wood, and cut into lengths and then carried home.

- People also found out that Canada would have all conditions to fill people's needs, so people moved there

- First settler's homes were made of logs, field stone, or sod

- on the way to Canada, settlers brought with them personal belongings, furniture, and a few possessions.

- Most homes were one room, not very lit up, most of the window were just holes with shutters, so the homes were extremely cold in the wintertime that some people and especially ones who couldn't afford heavier blankets have died

- people bathed once a month in warm water

- Pioneer families grew crops, hunted, raised animals, or traded with others to put food on the table.


I hope this helped you, and good luck in all your assignments! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is absolutely AWESOME - well done! These are great tips for your classmates!

    ReplyDelete